Monday, 6 March 2017

5 Ways to De-stress


As I have had had a few stressful periods in the last few weeks due to coursework, I thought I would share with you, my personal mini list on how I deal with stress.


1. Take some time for yourself
I think this such an important thing to do no matter how busy you are, and on of my favorite things to do at least once a week. I know that for some people it might seem that students have a lot of time on their hands, but personally, the past few month have been long and tough. My social life has vanished into thin air and my stress levels are real. So every Thursday or Friday after my lectures I like to get home, take a nice long shower and have a pamper session! Put on a face mask, do my nail, straighten my hair, read cosmopolitan or watch youtube videos. By doing so, not only I am allocating my attention to something that makes me feel happier while actually taking the time to care for myself. With our hectic lives and busy schedules, it's hard to acknowledge that sometimes we just need to stop and take some time to ourselves.


2. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise
Out of the five ways you can reduce your stress levels, exercising is definitely my favorite activity. After quitting basketball a few years ago I found myself signing up for a local gym and after that, the gym become part of my everyday routine. But I have only now known the reason why the gym has been my holy grail. I will be completely honest and said that 30% of the reason I go to the gym is to keep my body healthy, while the other 70% is all about me de-stressing and keeping my mind healthy. I must admit that sometimes it is not easy to get myself up and motivated, but once I get into my gym gear, my heart starts racing and I can feel the adrenaline rush kicking in. Because we must not forget that stress does not only weight on you mentally, but also physically. Whenever I am stressed, my neck tenses up which results in me having migraines. Through different workouts, my body tends to relax and loosen up all the tension that is sitting around my neck and shoulder area. PS: if wanting to do this as a way to de-s tress, don't be preoccupied with how many reps you have to do, or how long you have to be in the gym. Also, whether you prefer going to the gym or have other preferences such as doing Zumba, it does not matter. Do what works for you!

3. Get cooking or cleaning
Although this one might sound a bit odd, it has worked for me on several occasions! Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am not a big fan of clutter, but whenever I take up my Dyson and start vacuuming like a crazy lady, it actually relieves my stress and the tension that comes with it. If I am not cleaning I am cooking my stress away in the kitchen! The one thing that I love about cooking is how relaxing it is! I will be putting some tunes, pour myself a glass of wine and just enjoy my own company.

4. Keeping a diary
I have for years kept a diary, but only recently become aware of its benefits in regards to stress relief. Usually, I would write in my diary every other day to keep a track of experiences, emotions, and thoughts, but recently discovered what works best for me. Only writing down about the negative, emotions, experiences and things that have happened to me and never read through them again. The way it works for me is that by writing it down, I remove the negativity in my mind and make more room for positive thoughts. Although this has shown to work best for me, I also know some people who prefer to write three good things that happened to them every other day. Whatever method you choose to use I believe that it makes you aware that more often than not, positive things happen more often than negative ones!

5. Get enough sleep!
We all know who a good night's sleep is beneficial to our health, but yet we are all guilty of late nights and hitting the snooze button because of the few hours of sleep. But as we entered the new year, the word 'clean sleeping' has been flashing us as a reminder to take action. But what does it actually mean? How many hours do we need and how to we keep from distracting ourselves? I personally have been more and more conscious of my sleeping routine. After having 'upgrading' my beauty sleep routine, I have noticed some changes. This is the three main changes:

1. Don't drink any fluids before going to sleep.
Why? Because if you are like me, you will be getting up every other hour to go and pee.  It wasn't until I actually made myself aware of what I did before I go to bed that I realized how much getting up to pee in the middle of the night disrupted my sleep. So an hour before I head to bed no water or tea for me. 

2. Put my phone on 'Do not disturb'
I usually tend to scroll through Instagram before going to sleep, but it has recently been shown that it takes us longer to fall asleep if doing so. So before I put my phone on 'Do not disturb' or 'Nigh setting' and place it on my nightstand, face down. This way if any notifications should flash up, I will not be able to be disturbed by it.

3. Spray your way to better sleep
Last year I came across the brand Thisworks* at Boots and was intrigued to try a few products from their sleep range. After reading through each product I bought myself their Deep Sleep Pillow Spray (£16), all excited for the night to fall and hop in bed. The first night of trying the spray, I sprayed 1-3 times on my pillow and was happy by the fact that it smelled of lavender. Usually, when I have a migraine I tend to use 'Botanics Rollerball with Lavender' (£4.99), which helps me relax. The Deep Sleep Pillow Spray had the same effect and it now lives permanently on my nightstand as it works wonders! 


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Those tips are the best, thanks for sharing!

    http://ariadibari.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aria,
      Thank you for the comment, and I am glad you liked them! :)

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig