Wednesday, 15 March 2017

Things to Do When Not Feeling Good Enough


Everyone has had a bad day and as a result, sometimes our minds will wonder into the world of negativity making us feel like no matter what we do, it is never good enough. A feeling I am much familiar with, especially during last weeks 'mental breakdown' episode where I felt that this blog could never come to achieve what I wanted it to. But after laying on the sofa for 30-minutes feeling sorry for myself, I managed to pick myself off and snap it off. Because sometimes self-pity does not lead to anything greater more self-pity and procrastination. So here are a few tips that I personally use to stop myself from feeling low in the self-worth department.


1. Stop overthinking
I bet you were not surprised by this one. But as most of us now the art of overthinking never leads to anything that brings you joy. There is always the 'should've' thoughts that pop into your mind when feeling shitty, but again, no one is perfect. I personally should be crowned queen of overthinking, but after realizing how much unnecessary stress and anxiety it actually brought it my life, a shift in mindset had to be made. But I am not gonna lie, it's easier said than done, but something you definitely are better off without. Because that is life and sometimes you can't do anything about it, so why try overthinking about all possible 'should've', when you could be focusing on how to better improve yourself?

2. Look at what you have accomplished so far
This has been one of my main goals this year, to take a step back, look what I have accomplished so far and pat myself on the back. But the wrong this about our society is that, if you actually do so everyone will just look at you and think that your full of yourself. By why should that stop you? Especially knowing how hard you have worked to get yourself to where you are now. You should celebrate it, drink some champagne, wave your hands in the air and say 'Yes, I am proud of myself for being where and who I am today'. Not saying that you should do it in public and be arrogant about it, but I believe that sometimes celebrating ourselves gives us a power boost to do even better. 

3. Focus on your strengths 
As I am a psychology student a few weeks ago we were asked to take a test which showed us our signature (character) strengths. Even though I am a psychology student I sometimes doubt the accuracy of tests like this, but after were revealed I was positively surprised. I was surprised because they made me become more self-aware and identify those strengths, which I knew I had. I am not saying that you should all go and take ten different psychological tests, but sometimes it is good to look at yourself and know what your strengths are and develop them. As individual's, we are prone to focus on the negative side of things, especially when it comes to ourselves. Be proud of who you are, of what you can do, how your mind works and what strengths you have because all of this is part of your unique self.

4. Don't compare yourself to others 
As cliche this might sound, I think we are all guilty of doing so. Whether you are in your 20s, 30s, or 50s, there is always that inner voice that allows you to compare yourself to others. I believe this had both a negative and positive effect. In this day and age, social media is booming of people that seem to have it all together. I quick scroll through my Instagram feed and there are all kinds of people seeming to be doing better than me both emotionally, financially and psychically, but is that true? Are all these people extremely happy and living their life to the fullest? Hopefully, most of us will know that what we see is just a small percentage of reality. Because the truth is, the grass is not always greener on the other said, and you can't always know what that person has done to get to where they are.

5. Care for your body 
I think this is something we all are guilty of not doing. We go to bed late, sleep for six hours, wake up feeling sleep deprived, don't drink enough water, maybe skip breakfast, and become inconsistent in our diet. Don't get me wrong, I love myself I cheeky juicy bacon burger and a peanut butter milkshake. But the most day I am quite aware of what I put in my body. Not because I am on a crazy and trendy diet, or because I want to be slim. But because this is the body that was given to me and its one of the things that are keeping me alive.

6. Trust yourself
Self-doubt can easily bring you to the ground and leave you feeling unmotivated if you let it. That's why trusting yourself and knowing that the plan you have set for yourself will be achieved, is key. You know yourself best and only you know how you want to achieve the goals you have set yourself. Because in the end of the day, it only matters a small percentage if other people cheer for you and say 'keep going' because if you don't trust yourself, someone's words are not gonna get you to the finish line. 




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig