Wednesday, 8 March 2017

The Influencer: I Was Here


                                      Photo// http://www.michelapicchi.com

When you are young you are very munch unaware of the world around you. You can sense,  you can have an opinion on what matters to you, you can feel the different emotions there is to feel, but all of these are limited to the world we create as a child. As we grow older we realize that the world we live in is not as colorful and accepting as we imagined it to be. A quick flick through the news channels and you are overwhelmed by the depressing news reports from all over the world. But who is to blame for what is happening? The answer is short and not so sweet, but it is all due to us. Maybe not you in particular, but I believe that everyone is included in the bigger picture.



Through this blog, and if you look away from the ‘typical blogger posts’ about makeup and beauty, I am trying to be the one of the many voices of my generation that makes a change by standing up for what I believe in, because at the end of the day what I believe in is the power we have as individual's to come together and stand up for the what we believe in. For as cliche as that might sound, there is much true that lies in those words especially when thinking about the endless possibilities we have to do so. As I am fortunate enough to live in a country where the option to express my concerns and opinions is possible, and because of that, I choose to do so.

Since today is International Women’s Day today, I thought I would write a blog post about one of the topics that I feel passionate about: those who come from underdeveloped countries where their chances are limited or restricted based on their life situation, where their right to education, engagement in society and opportunities to develop are close to being non-existent. The reason to why this an issue close to my heart is because while in Ethiopia four years ago I become aware how easy it is to take everything we have for granted.

For those who don’t know, I was born in Ethiopia but raised in France, moved to Portugal when I was two, then moved again at the age of 10 to Norway. So occasionally together with my parents, we visit our family in Ethiopia.  Due to some road work and my grandparents growing old, my parents decided to build them a house where they felt safe and at ease. One of the days we were there we decided to visit the building site and while doing so I met a young girl, probably 10 years old and it changed many of my perspectives and how I view the world.  While I was wearing £100 Hunter and wellies and a Barbour jacket, she had Crocs lookalike shoes made from plastic bottles and a dress with a few rips in it. But somehow she still had the biggest smile on her face and that smile grow even bigger when I offered her a pack of gum while I showed her how to play a game on my iPhone. As we sat down in the dirt playing on my iPhone, I looked around and I could see a couple of for kids looking rather curious to what we were doing. As they approached us, my uncle came and handed them a football ball so they could all play together. When I asked him about their lives, my uncle explained that for their parents it was too expensive to put them in school, so the only option they had left was to work and help their parents. For some reason, this didn't surprise me, but it left me feeling sad and somehow helpless. Sad because education should available for everyone, and not only for those who are able to afford. It shouldn't be a privilege for only the rich, as education leads the knowledge that some day might be used to develop their own country and further educate others. Then I was left feeling helpless, and you might say that you can always donate money or do some volunteer works but to me, that wasn't enough. In my heart, I wanted to do so much more and this is something that often plays in my mind and that is why I try my best to raise awareness around issues like this. I know we often see it in and read it in the news, but I think it has gotten to a point where we become desensitized to it all. We know what is going on beyond our safe and warm households, but sometimes it is easier to turn the other way and hope that someone else will care enough to deal with it.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig