Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Dear Ethiopia


It has been two weeks since I have blogged and the reason why it's because I travelled to Ethiopia to visit my family and wanted to focus on spending as much time with them. It's been five years since I last visited Ethiopia, so when I arrived at the airport and saw my grandma waiting together with my four-year-old cousin, I broke down and cried. It's in moments like this that you realise how important family is and how one takes it for granted when your family members live only a car ride away.

Whenever I travel back to Ethiopia, it always makes me appreciate what I have and think about how different my life would've been if my mum did not take the chances she took.  If my mum was not strong-minded enough to leave her country behind and seek better opportunities, I would most likely be a 21-year-old woman with limited opportunities that prevented me from achieving my desired goals. Something that was very visible when wandering around the streets of Addis Ababa, where young people seemed frustrated over the fact that the days went by without any sense of purpose, which sadden me to see. It is no secret that although Ethiopia has various resources available to use, it is still a corrupt (CPI, 2013) and poor country in need of external funding for development. Which is something frustrated and concerned me more than I thought it would because even though I have barely lived in Ethiopia (moved when I was 4 months old), I still see it as my country. But where does one start? Does one start volunteering and raise awareness around the issues and presented, is that enough? I wish it was as easy as that, but in reality, it is a progress that slowly will present itself hopefully in the near future with the help of everyone who wishes to positively contribute. Because Ethiopia in line with many other African countries have a rich culture and much potential that should be undermined due to their lack of stability and unfortunate 'democratic' leadership. 

The reason I wish to highlight what I have written above is because I initially come from a family that is far from being wealthy. My mum comes from a family where both her parents were hard working people, who worked long hours in a leather and coffee factory to provide for their family. Neither my mum having any kind of education beyond high school, which we all know only gets us so far, depending on how lucky you are. Also, seeing how hard working my uncle who is 33-years old is who is trying to provide his family of three, is an awakening factor. In addition to that,  having two cousins of the same age, one living in Ethiopia and one living in Norway, I can see the big contrast and the what a difference it makes when living in a country with never ending opportunities.

So after spending a week in Ethiopia with my family and neighbours, I had some time to reflect on what is important and what I wish to do in the future to help as many as I can in my lifetime, as I am not leaving this earth without impacting someone else's life in a positive way. My biggest goal to start working within the United Nations and contribute to the development of underdeveloped countries, whilst making sure that needs are meet in rural areas such as access to education, clean water and other basic but important needs related to health. But working hard and being motivated to help others, I know this is a goal I will be achieving in the near future.

What are your future goals? 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig