Tuesday, 23 May 2017

To Vote or Not to Vote?

Although I am not a UK citizen and do not have the right to vote, I still remember the day I turned 18, got my Norwegian passport and was allowed to vote in the upcoming election in Norway. I must admit that I didn't take it seriously and wasn't really bothered about the different parties and what they stood for. This was my mindset until I spoke to my dad and asked him what party he was to vote for and why he thought voting was important, his answer being - if you look at the world we live in, look at the countries where people get killed daily for expressing their opinions and worries, making their voices heard where the right to vote is non-existing, I think it's only stupid for us not to use the vote we have and take for granted. This got me thinking, and from that moment on I read through all parties and they stood for. For when the day came and my vote was to be given, I knew without a doubt who I wanted to vote for, and that is what I did.  

I think one of the reasons I didn't take my first election seriously in very the beginning, was because I knew that no matter who I voted for, the impact wouldn't be devastating or make a huge difference. Whether I voted for party A or party B, my safety, my voice, and my opinion would still be heard. Not that the democracy we have in Norway is all so perfect, but at least we do have a democracy that enables us to take part in the debates that we feel matters to us. Being beyond lucky that our country is one of the few in the word where democracy does not mean anything other than its primary definition. Not having to look far to see that in some countries, where the word 'democracy' is disguised as a wolf in sheep's clothing. Leaving its citizens with the feeling of insecurity and fear for what the future will bring. This is why one should not take their right to vote lightly and question whether or not one should vote. As I personally believe that if you are unsure of who vote for, then it is s because you haven't done your research and do not have the right to complain in the aftermath. This is a pattern I saw when doing research for my dissertation, where those who voted leave were unsure about the actual consequences, later regretting their choice, it being too late.  Making it clear that even though one chooses to use their vote, some do (unfortunately) take it lightly, not fully comprehending their duty as a citizen of a country they profess to love. My point is -   do not make voting into 'one of those things I just have to do' because you don't have to, but if
YOU don't along with a million others then don't be surprised by what may follow.

Please keep this in mind for the upcoming election on the 8th of June. Use your right to vote, and do not take it for granted! Because I believe we all want what is best for our country, our children, and ourselves.  Not every political body is perfect, but where you are given the right to vote, cherish it and use it! (https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote) 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig